Dr. Susan O'Neill
USDA Forest Service
Pacific Northwest Research Station
Forest Service Profile
Susan O’Neill, who is based in Washington State, is a research air quality engineer for the US Forest Service. O’Neill brings to HAQAST an interest in smoke and fire research for air quality and public health.
Susan’s HAQAST project aims to facilitate the adoption and use of earth observations directly into the decisions, communications and response of wildfire Incident Command Teams and local public health agencies during wildfire smoke events. We will pursue three primary tasks:
- Mine, analyze, synthesize, and deliver earth observations in tailored formats to Air Resource Advisors and public health agencies.
- Enhance the use of earth observations for smoke model evaluation and validation.
- Enhance the use of earth observations within the smoke prediction modeling chain.
Susan contributes to or leads the following Tiger Teams:
- High Resolution Paticulate Matter Data for Improved Satellite-Based Assessments of Community Health, led by Patrick Kinney.
- Improved National Emissions Inventory NOxEmissions Using OMI Tropospheric NO2 Retrievals and Potential Impacts on Air Quality Strategy Development, led by Brad Pierce and Daniel Tong.
- Leader, Air Quality and Health Burden of 2017 California Wildfires.
- Wildfire Smoke
- Smoke Modeling and Tools Supporting Wildland Fire Operations
- Facilitating the Integration and Adoption of Satellite Products for Decision Support during Wildland Fire Smoke Episodes
- Air Quality and Health Burden of 2017 Northern California Wildfires
Daniel A. Jaffe, Susan M. O’Neill, Narasimhan K. Larkin, Amara L. Holder, David L. Peterson, Jessica E. Halofsky, Ana G. Rappold, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association
Suman Majumder, Yawen Guan, Brian J. Reich, Susan O’Neill, Ana G. Rappold, Annals of Applied Statistics
Susan O’Neill, United States Environmental Protection Agency
Yufei Zou, Susan M. O’Neill, Narasimhan K. Larkin, Ernesto C. Alvarado, Robert Solomon, Clifford Mass , Yang Liu, M. Talat Odman, and Huizhong Shen
Susan O’Neill, Shawn Urbanski, Scott Goodrick, Sim Larkin, Fire Management Today
Kathleen M. Navarro, Ricardo Cisneros, Susan M. O’Neill, Don Schweizer, Narasimhan K. Larkin, John R. Balmes, Environmental Science and Technology