Daniel Tong is a research professor at Center for Spatial Science and Systems, a research unit affiliated with the College of Science at George Mason University. He is interested in improvements to the National Air Quality Forecast Capability (NAQFC).
The goal of Daniel’s HAQAST project is to use satellite observations to improve emission estimates and air quality forecasting/reanalysis. Our team aims to substantially enhance the nation’s pollution forecasting capability through:
- Developing emission data assimilation capability for timely and reliable updates of emission inventories using satellite observations.
- Extending this capability and the AQAST chemical reanalysis system to improve air quality reanalysis products and services.
- Improving ozone and PM2.5 forecasts to support decision makers locally and globally to mitigate health effects of air pollution.
In addition, he contributes to the following Tiger Teams:
- Supporting the Use of Satellite Data in Regional Haze Planning, led by Arlene Fiore.
- Using Satellite Remote Sensing to Derive Global Climate and Air Pollution Indicators, led by Susan Anenberg.
- Air Quality and Health Burden of 2017 California Wildfires, led by Susan O’Neill.
- Demonstration of the Efficacy of Environmental Regulations in the Eastern US, led by Bryan Duncan and Jason West.
- Supporting the Use of Satellite Data in State Implementation Plans (SIPS), led by Arlene Fiore.
- High Resolution Particulate Matter Data for Improved Satellite-Based Assessments of Community Health, led by Patrick Kinney.
And he co-leads the Tiger Team Improved National Emissions Inventory NOx Emissions Using OMI Tropospheric NO2 Retrievals and Potential Impacts on Air Quality Strategy Development along with Brad Pierce.
Improved National Emissions Inventory NOx emissions using OMI tropospheric NO2 retrievals and potential impacts on air quality strategy development
Frank R. Freedman, Paul English, Jeff Wagner, Yang Liu, Akula Venkatram, Daniel Q. Tong, Mohammad Z. Al-Hamdan, Meytar Sorek-Hamer, Robert Chatfield, Ana Rivera and Patrick L. Kinney
Daniel Tong, Youhua Tang, EM.
Kondragunta, S., Zhang, H., Ciren, P., Laszlo, I., and Tong, D, The Magazine for Environmental Managers
Huang, J., McQueen, J., Wilczak, J., Djalalova, I., Stajner, I., Shafran, P., Allured, D., Lee, P., Pan, L., Tong, D. and Huang, H.C., Weather and Forecasting
Daniel Q. Tong, Julian X. L. Wang, Thomas E. Gill, Hang Lei and Binyu Wang, Geophysical Research Letters
Tianfeng Chai, Hyun‐Cheol Kim, Li Pan, Pius Lee, Daniel Tong, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres
Youhua Tang, Mariusz Pagowski, Tianfeng Chai, Li Pan, Pius Lee, Daniel Tong, et al., Journal of Geoscientific Model Development
Pius Lee, Jeffery McQueen, Ivanka Stajner, Jianping Huang, Li Pan, Daniel Tong, Hyuncheol Kim, Youhua Tang, Shobha Kondragunta, Mark Ruminski, Sarah Lu, Eric Rogers, Rick Saylor, Perry Shafran, Ho-Chun Huang, Jerry Gorline, Sikchya Upadhayay, and Richard Artz, AMS: Weather and Forecasting
Daniel Tong, Li Pan, Weiwei Chen, Lok Lamsal, Pius Lee, Youhua Tang, Hyuncheol Kim, Shobha Kondragunta, Ivanka Stajner, Geophysical Research Letters