Daniel Tong is a research professor at Center for Spatial Science and Systems, a research unit affiliated with the College of Science at George Mason University. He is interested in improvements to the National Air Quality Forecast Capability (NAQFC).
The goal of Daniel’s HAQAST project is to use satellite observations to improve emission estimates and air quality forecasting/reanalysis. Our team aims to substantially enhance the nation’s pollution forecasting capability through:
- Developing emission data assimilation capability for timely and reliable updates of emission inventories using satellite observations.
- Extending this capability and the AQAST chemical reanalysis system to improve air quality reanalysis products and services.
- Improving ozone and PM2.5 forecasts to support decision makers locally and globally to mitigate health effects of air pollution.
Daniel contributes to or leads the following Tiger Teams:
- Supporting the Use of Satellite Data in Regional Haze Planning, led by Arlene Fiore.
- Using Satellite Remote Sensing to Derive Global Climate and Air Pollution Indicators, led by Susan Anenberg.
- Air Quality and Health Burden of 2017 California Wildfires, led by Susan O’Neill.
- Demonstration of the Efficacy of Environmental Regulations in the Eastern US, led by Bryan Duncan and Jason West.
- Supporting the Use of Satellite Data in State Implementation Plans (SIPS), led by Arlene Fiore.
- High Resolution Particulate Matter Data for Improved Satellite-Based Assessments of Community Health, led by Patrick Kinney.
- Co-leader with Brad Pierce, Improved National Emissions Inventory NOx Emissions Using OMI Tropospheric NO2 Retrievals and Potential Impacts on Air Quality Strategy Development.
- Air Quality Forecasting
- Challenges in Air Quality Services
- Improved National Emissions Inventory NOx emissions using OMI tropospheric NO2 retrievals and potential impacts on air quality strategy development
- Emission Data Assimilation for Air Quality Forecasting
- Observing and Forecasting Dust Storms
Susan C. Anenberg, Matilyn Bindl, Michael Brauer, Juan J. Castillo, Sandra Cavalieri, Bryan N. Duncan, Arlene M. Fiore, Richard Fuller, Daniel L. Goldberg, Daven K. Henze, Jeremy Hess, Tracey Holloway, Peter James, Xiaomeng Jin, Iyad Kheirbek, Patrick L. Kinney, Yang Liu, Arash Mohegh, Jonathan Patz, Marcia P. Jimenez, Ananya Roy, Daniel Tong, Katy Walker, Nick Watts, J. Jason West, Advancing Earth and Space
Frank R. Freedman, Paul English, Jeff Wagner, Yang Liu, Akula Venkatram, Daniel Q. Tong, Mohammad Z. Al-Hamdan, Meytar Sorek-Hamer, Robert Chatfield, Ana Rivera and Patrick L. Kinney
Liu, Zhong, Tong, Daniel, Wei, Jennifer, NASA
J.T. Walker, G. Beachley, H.M. Amos, J.S. Baron, J. Bash, R. Baumgardner, M.D. Bell, K.B. Benedict, X. Chen, D.W. Clow, A. Cole, J.G. Coughlin, K. Cruz, R.W. Daly, S.M. Decina, E.M. Elliott, M.E. Fenn, L. Ganzeveld, K. Gebhart, S.S. Isil, B.M. Kerschner, R.S. Larson, T. Lavery, G.G. Lear, T. Macy, M.A. Mast, K. Mishoe, K.H. Morris, P.E. Padgett, R.V. Pouyat, M. Puchalski, H.O.T. Pye, A.W. Rea, M.F. Rhodes, C.M. Rogers, R. Saylor, R. Scheffe, B.A. Schichtel, D.B. Schwede, G.A. Sexstone, B.C. Sive, R. Sosa Echeverría, P.H. Templer, T. Thompson, D. Tong, G.A. Wetherbee, T.H. Whitlow, Z. Wu, Z. Yu, L. Zhang
Pius Lee, Li Pan, Youhua Tang, Daniel Tong, Barry Baker, Hyuncheol Kim, Rick Saylor, Air Pollution Modeling and its Application XXVI
Guannan Geng, Qingyang Xiao, Yixuan Zheng, Dan Tong, Yuxuan Zhang, Xiaoye Zhang, Qiang Zhang, Kebin He, Yang Liu, Science China Earth Sciences
William H. Battye, Casey D. Bray, Viney P. Aneja, Daniel Tong, Pius Lee, Youhua Tang, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres
Shen, Suhung, Ostrenga, Dana M., Wei, Jennifer C., Tong, Daniel, Li, Angela W., Vollmer, Bruce E., Meyer, David J., NASA
Rick D. Saylor, Barry D. Baker, Pius Lee, Daniel Tong, Li Pan, Bruce B. Hicks, Tellus B: Chemical and Physical Meterology
Daniel Tong, Youhua Tang, EM.
Guannan Geng, Nancy L. Murray, Daniel Tong, Joshua S. Fu, Xuefei Hu, Pius Lee, Xia Meng, Howard H. Chang, Yang Liu, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres
Kondragunta, S., Zhang, H., Ciren, P., Laszlo, I., and Tong, D, The Magazine for Environmental Managers
Ziheng Sun, Liping Di, Haosheng Hao, Xiaoqing Wu, Daniel Q. Tong, Chen Zhang, Cora Virgei, Hui Fang, Eugene Yu, Xicheng Tan, Peng Yue, Li Lin, Earth Science Infomatics
Huang, J., McQueen, J., Wilczak, J., Djalalova, I., Stajner, I., Shafran, P., Allured, D., Lee, P., Pan, L., Tong, D. and Huang, H.C., Weather and Forecasting
Daniel Q. Tong, Julian X. L. Wang, Thomas E. Gill, Hang Lei and Binyu Wang, Geophysical Research Letters
Tianfeng Chai, Hyun‐Cheol Kim, Li Pan, Pius Lee, Daniel Tong, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres
Youhua Tang, Mariusz Pagowski, Tianfeng Chai, Li Pan, Pius Lee, Daniel Tong, et al., Journal of Geoscientific Model Development
Pius Lee, Jeffery McQueen, Ivanka Stajner, Jianping Huang, Li Pan, Daniel Tong, Hyuncheol Kim, Youhua Tang, Shobha Kondragunta, Mark Ruminski, Sarah Lu, Eric Rogers, Rick Saylor, Perry Shafran, Ho-Chun Huang, Jerry Gorline, Sikchya Upadhayay, and Richard Artz, AMS: Weather and Forecasting
Daniel Tong, Li Pan, Weiwei Chen, Lok Lamsal, Pius Lee, Youhua Tang, Hyuncheol Kim, Shobha Kondragunta, Ivanka Stajner, Geophysical Research Letters