Jason West is an associate professor in the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering. West conducts interdisciplinary research addressing air pollution and climate change by using models of atmospheric chemistry and transport and tools for quantitative policy analysis. His work aims to understand the relationships between air pollution and climate change and their relevance for science and policy on local through global scales.
Jason’s core HAQAST project aims to make atmospheric science meaningful for decision-making through two tasks:
- First, we will estimate global surface ozone concentrations through a statistical fusion of global surface observations and global multi-model ensembles. The combined global ozone dataset will be provided to the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) team for their use in evaluating the global health burden of ambient ozone.
- Second, we will model the global air quality and health co-benefits of GHG reductions currently pledged under the 2015 Paris Agreement to address climate change.
Jason contributes to or leads the following Tiger Teams:
- Satellite-Evaluated and Satellite-Informed O3 Distributions for Estimating US Background O3, led by Jessica Neu.
- Supporting the Use of Satellite Data in Regional Haze Planning, led by Arlene Fiore.
- Using Satellite Remote Sensing to Derive Global Climate and Air Pollution Indicators, led by Susan Anenberg.
- Air Quality and Health Burden of 2017 California Wildfires, led by Susan O’Neill.
- Co-leader with Bryan Duncan, Demonstration of the Efficacy of Environmental Regulations in the Eastern US.
- Research connecting air quality, climate change, energy, policy and health
- Using atmospheric models to drive health and policy analyses: Research for HAQAST
- HAQAST TT: Demonstration of the Efficacy of Environmental Regulations in the Eastern U.S.
- HAQAST Research at UNC
- Year 2 Progress Update, PI West
- HAQAST Research at UNC
Tracey Holloway, Daegan Miller, Susan Anenberg, Minghui Diao, Bryan Duncan, Arlene M. Fiore, Daven K. Henze, Jeremy Hess, Patrick L. Kinney, Yang Liu, Jessica L. Neu, Susan M. O’Neill, M. Talat Odman, R. Bradley Pierce, Armistead G. Russell, Daniel Tong, J. Jason West, Mark A. Zondlo, Annual Review of Biomedical Data Science
Marissa N. DeLang, Jacob S. Becker, Kai-Lan Chang, Marc L. Serre, Owen R. Cooper, Martin G. Schultz, Sabine Schröder, Xiao Lu, Lin Zhang, Makoto Deushi, Beatrice Josse, Christoph A. Keller, Jean-François Lamarque, Meiyun Lin, Junhua Liu, Virginie Marécal, Sarah A. Strode, Kengo Sudo, Simone Tilmes, Li Zhang, Stephanie E. Cleland, Elyssa L. Collins, Michael Brauer, and J. Jason West, Environmental Science and Technology
Yuqiang Zhang, J. Jason West, Louisa K. Emmons, Johannes Flemming, Jan Eiof Jonson, Marianne T. Lund, Takashi Sekiya, Kengo Sudo, Audrey Gaudel, Kai-Lan Chang, Philippe Nédélec, Valérie Thouret, Geophysical Research Letters
Over 100 authors including J. J. West, M. N. DeLang, J. S. Becker, K.-L Chang, The Lancet
Stephanie E. Cleland, J. Jason West, Yiqin Jia, Stephen Reid, Sean Raffuse, Susan O’Neill, Marc L. Serre, Environmental Science & Technology
Susan C. Anenberg, Matilyn Bindl, Michael Brauer, Juan J. Castillo, Sandra Cavalieri, Bryan N. Duncan, Arlene M. Fiore, Richard Fuller, Daniel L. Goldberg, Daven K. Henze, Jeremy Hess, Tracey Holloway, Peter James, Xiaomeng Jin, Iyad Kheirbek, Patrick L. Kinney, Yang Liu, Arash Mohegh, Jonathan Patz, Marcia P. Jimenez, Ananya Roy, Daniel Tong, Katy Walker, Nick Watts, J. Jason West, Advancing Earth and Space
Yang Ou, J. Jason West, Steven J. Smith, Christopher G. Nolte, Daniel Loughlin, Nature Communications
Kai-Lan Chang, Owen R. Cooper, J. Jason West, Marc L. Serre, Martin G. Schultz, Meiyun Lin, Virginie Marécal, Béatrice Josse, Makoto Deushi, Kengo Sudo, Junhua Liu, and Christoph A. Keller, Geoscientific Model Development
Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 84 behavioural, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
Jeffrey D Stanaway, Ashkan Afshin, Emmanuela Gakidou, Stephen S Lim, Degu Abate, Kalkidan Hassen Abate, Cristiana Abbafati, Nooshin Abbasi, Hedayat Abbastabar, Foad Abd-Allah, Jemal Abdela, Ahmed Abdelalim, Ibrahim Abdollahpour, Rizwan Suliankatchi Abdulkader, Molla Abebe, Zegeye Abebe, Semaw F Abera, Olifan Zewdie Abil, Haftom Niguse Abraha, J. Jason West, et al., The Lancet
Ciao-Kai Liang, J. Jason West, Raquel A. Silva, Huisheng Bian, Mian Chin, Yanko Davila,Frank J. Dentener, Louisa Emmons, Johannes Flemming, Gerd Folberth, Daven Henze, Ulas Im, Jan Eiof Jonson, Terry J. Keating, Tom Kucsera, Allen Lenzen, Meiyun Lin,Marianne Tronstad Lund, Xiaohua Pan, Rokjin J. Park, R. Bradley Pierce,Takashi Sekiya, Kengo Sudo, and Toshihiko Takemura, Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
Yuqiang Zhang, J. Jason West, Rohit Mathur, Jia Xing, Christian Hogrefe,Shawn J. Roselle, Jesse O. Bash, Jonathan E. Pleim, Chuen-Meei Gan, David C. Wong, Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
Yang Ou, Wenjing Shi, Steven J. Smith, Catherine M. Ledna, J. JasonWest, Christopher G. Nolte, Daniel H. Loughlin
Raquel A. Silva, Jason West, Jean-François Lamarque, Drew T. Shindell, William J. Collins, Greg Faluvegi, Gerd A. Folberth, Larry W. Horowitz, Tatsuya Nagashima, Vaishali Naik, Steven T. Rumbold, Kengo Sudo, Toshihiko Takemura, Daniel Bergmann, Philip Cameron-Smith, Ruth M. Doherty, Beatrice Josse, Ian A. MacKenzie, David S. Stevenson & Guang Zeng, Nature Climate Change
Yuqiang Zhang, Steven J Smith, Jared H Bowden, Zachariah Adelman and Jason West, Environmental Research Letters
Jason West, Aaron Cohen, Frank Dentener, Bert Brunekreef, Tong Zhu, Ben Armstrong, Michelle L. Bell, Michael Brauer, Gregory Carmichael, Dan L. Costa, Douglas W. Dockery, Michael Kleeman, Michal Krzyzanowski, Nino Künzli, Catherine Liousse, Shih-Chun Candice Lung, Randall V. Martin, Ulrich Pöschl, C. Arden Pope III, James M. Roberts, Armistead G. Russell, and Christine Wiedinmyer, Environmental Science & Technology